Thursday, July 12, 2007

Waiting for the Punchline

There was a letter to the editor in Monday's Mercury News that I had to read twice. Then once again with my glasses on, just in case. Then I put it aside to read again, just to make sure I read it correctly the first three times. I'll let you decide:

The whiny liberal crowd will not credit our great commander in chief, even though he is the first man of his word our nation has ever had. He said he was a uniter not a divider, and sure enough he has united about three out of every four of us. He said he was going to restore honor and decency to the White House, and we enjoy worldwide renown for our efforts to find peace, albeit through war. He is open and candid about even the smallest perceived misstep, articulate and persuasive to all who will listen carefully. We are truly blessed and will miss him terribly after next year.
--Ed Von Ruden, San Jose, CA
So:
1) Is grampa smoking crack?
2) Does BushworldTM actually exist?
3) Has this person ever read anything about US history?
4) Does anyone else agree with what this guy is saying?
5) Was this a seriously bad joke by someone desperate to see his name in print?
6) Did I (please, oh please) misread it?

6 comments:

Jessica Córdova said...

Since you seem to have read the same thing I just did, I'm gonna go with a combination of 1, 3, and 5.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, who's to say he's a grandpa... some of those Bushies are "our age" *grimace*. What about that Vietnam vet who gave Bush his purple heart to acknowledge "how well Bush has managed all of these verbal attacks during his time in office". Since verbal attacks can hurt as much as bullets,right?
deep cleansing breath... and pass me the chardonnay....

Pranayama mama said...

I actually agree with this guy on one point: he has united many of us, specifically in our abject horror of this administration and its war.

Melanie K said...

I thought this at first too, until I realized that he's only talking about the segment of the population that agrees with the president. Me thinks he overestimates that portion of the population.

And, Jess, I guess I called him grampa because of the antiquated thinking that a (republican) president can do no wrong, especially in matters military. I should have gone with the more PC "Sparky." :D

Anonymous said...

C'mon! It's a sarcastic letter from the get go. The statement that "he united about three out of every four of us." is the dead give away. There's no way he could be serious. It's simply impossible to ingest that much Fox News Koolaid.

-Jimbo

Melanie K said...

Hi Jimbo!
I'd be more apt to believe that it was all sarcasm but for two points:
1) he opened with "whiny liberals," and 2) I know from sarcasm, having studied, and practiced, it extensively. But this is one time I would be delighted--and relieved--to be wrong :)