Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Pretty is as Pretty Does

That's what I've been trying to teach Hannah, anyway. She is very often told that she is pretty. She thinks she is pretty. She's wrong--she is beautiful, but I keep trying to slip in the idea that it is more important to be a good person (pretty doesn't last, after all). So when I found her in front of the mirror again yesterday (partly our fault--there are too many in this house!), I asked why she was looking at herself, what she saw. The conversation went something like this:

"Because I'm pretty."

"That's right--you are. But what is more important than being pretty?"

(Tilt of the head, pause for effect:)

"Beautiful!"

"OK. And what's more important than being beautiful?"

(Nanosecond pause:)

"Gorgeous!"

Clearly I'm doing something wrong.

No comments: