Saturday, March 11, 2006

Introductions

When you first meet someone, you may think that person is really attractive, or really smart, or funny, or talented, or whatever. And the more you get to know them, the more they open up to you, the more you may come to appreciate just how awful your judgement truly is. One day you wake up and realize that the sarcasm wasn't really sarcasm. Or that the bitchy comments weren't the result of a bad day and that no, the self-centeredness is not an act and is never going to go away.

Since you really can't efficiently speed date through most new relationships, I thought, just this once, I'd save you a little time right up front. So here goes:

I have been married for almost nine years to a lovely man, Thomas. We are the parents of two very funny, smart, beautiful daughters (I know everyone says that, but mine really are!) and a Great Dane. I grew up in Virginia and, except for the first three months of my life, never lived anywhere else until we moved to California in 2003.

I love hockey. I will read almost anything. Books I love will be read more than once. Libraries are great, but I don't like having to give my books back. I don't watch much TV and have gone for a year without watching at all.

I am a registered Independent. I detest George W Bush. I don't believe in the death penalty. I don't know if I believe in god, but I respect the right of people to believe in whatever god they choose. I don't respect people who profess Christianity when it's convenient but don't appear to have read even the Ten Commandments. I believe the Republican Party has been hijacked by the "religious right." I also believe that the Democratic Party needs to come up with a plan, an idea, anything. Show that it is more than just pro-choice. I am pro choice. I like John McCain. I don't think I'd vote for him, but I like him. I love the Daily Show. The yelling shows on cable news make me physically ill.

My favorite vacation was renting a boat on the Burgundy Canal in France. I don't speak French but I tried and I will defend them forever from "What rude people!"

Sometimes I snort when I laugh. One episode of The Family Guy made me laugh so hard we had to pause the show for half an hour until I could breathe again. TiVo!

I love that a three-year old child can be both the worst and best part of the day. When was the last time you got up at dawn, went full-tilt all day and then, at bedtime, cried (ok, screamed) because there was still so much fun stuff left to do? I forgot how fascinating ants were. I hate spiders but I can't kill them or any bug. I have to put them outside, unless they come near my girls; that's a violation of the treaty.

So now you know a little more about me, and maybe I do, too.

No comments: