Thursday, March 23, 2006

A Gland Problem

We have a dog named Argus. Argus has a little gland problem. More specifically, his anal glands. He's been to the vet several times to have them emptied, and he's been on antibiotics twice because one of the glands was abscessed. I know, yuk.

Did I mention that Argus is a Great Dane? While this probably makes it easier, it by no means makes it a more attractive proposition to take care of that particular little problem myself. Which is what the vet offered. Um, sorry, but it's just not worth saving the $20 to poke around in my dog's butt, hoping I get it right. And I'm pretty sure he wouldn't like it much, either. Hannah poked him in the butt with a flute once and it didn't go over well.

"Hannah, what happened?! Why did Argus growl at you?"

"I poked him in the bunda. With the flute."

"IN the bunda? Or ON the bunda?"

"In his bunda."

'WHY would you do that??"

"I was just trying to be friendly. But he didn't like it."

Hannah went in to timeout. Argus, his patience sorely tried, hid in the yard. I tried to hide the fact that I was laughing. The flute went in the trash.

The point of this little story being that Argus, while a very patient and gentle dog, is understandably protective of his butt. He outweighs me by 15 pounds (25 if you go by the weight on my drivers license). So I think I'm going to leave this one to the professionals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I rarely surf the net but found you by googling a word that brought up another of your blogs. I thought it to be so well-written that I had to read more.

I didn't even know that anything like this existed. It's sort of endearing to read a little about another Mom with similar views and experiences as those of mine and my friends.

Anyway, I'm still laughing my butt off from reading about your dog's butt!! So thanks for the humor.