Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Rainy Days

As of today, San Jose has already had 138% of average rainfall for the year. If we didn't get another drop, we would have enough stored water to last for two years. And if we didn't get another drop, I would be one happy mother. Take that to mean whatever you like!

Think of it: the last 10 days in February. At least 20 days in March. (Maybe 26--my brain is water logged and I can't remember.) It's only April 4, but it has rained every day so far this month and is expected to continue to rain for all but one day of the next week. Translation: Cabin fever. Wired 3-year old. Seriously constipated dog (he won't go out in the rain).

We obviously can't go to the park; the mall is out because if there are no little red cars, Hannah whines and whimpers and dead-drops her weight until I'm dragging her by one arm. And if there ARE little red cars, getting her out of it at the end of the trip is, to put it nicely, a nightmare. I end up praying for a fire alarm to go off so I can say "That's why she's screaming."

So instead, we stay home. I've almost stopped saying "Hannah! Don't jump from that!" because I rarely get to the exclamation point before she's in mid-air. I should be used to it by now--she climbed from her crib the first time at 15 months. Didn't fall, just scaled the side and dropped over. But I'm still worried that I'll have my first heart attack before I'm 40. Fortunately, Charlotte is not yet following in her sister's footsteps. Just sitting back and taking it all in. Probably taking notes so that there are no repeat performances.

No comments: