Thursday, April 13, 2006

Big Sister At Last

It seems that it wasn't that long ago that Hannah was asking (telling) me to take Charlotte back to the hospital. I guess she thought that if we still had the receipt, maybe we could all just go back her only-childness. But over the past couple of months, she's moved on to dressing Charlotte like a princess; dragging Charlotte into the playhouse whether she wanted to go or not; and now my favorite, teaching Charlotte. Yesterday, I was in the kitchen and heard Hannah in the living room, explaining how a shapes puzzle worked.

"Look Charlotte, this one is called a tri-angle. And you know what this is under it? Pizza! Do you like pizza?"

"This one is called a pen-ta-gon. And look! There's a house under it."

"Can you say circle? And what's under the circle? A CLOCK!"

This one of course made me laugh. Hannah's first word was "clock" but she wasn't able to say the letter 'L" for another six months or so. That was fun! Imagine the phone conversation with Grandma:

"Hannah said her first word today!"

"Really?! Hurray! What was it, Mama or Dada?"

"No, it was 'clock!'!"

"CLOCK? Well put her on! I want to hear it!"

"Oh, um. . . . . . She's taking a nap right now . . . .Maybe in a couple of weeks? Hours! I mean hours!"

How the hell was I going to get her to say it with the "L" in just a couple of hours?! So I had to 'fess up. It was pretty funny after all. Until she learned to say "Flag." Then we just told her that was called a banner.

Of course, we'll be happy no matter what Charlotte decides to say first. Well, as long as it isn't "No!" Hannah's pretty much got that covered.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Nice blog. I saw it in recent post section of my dashboard. You have lot's of ideas and thoughts. Good stuff.

On the Internet, everyone can hear you.