Saturday, April 15, 2006

Hippity Hoppity

Tomorrow is Easter and I've been struggling with whether or not to do the whole Easter Bunny thing. I mean, we don't do the church thing, or even the religion thing, so it was a matter of deciding whether I felt it was disrespectful, or if Easter has become another Christmas, celebrated by anyone with even a remote connection to Christianity. It almost seems as if there are two different holidays, Easter/Bunny, occupying the same space on the calendar.

And of course, I have NO idea how the Easter Bunny ever came to be. I mean, when I was growing up Catholic, I don't recall the priest ever mentioning rabbits of any sort. Rams, lambs, asses, lions, goats: Check, check, check, check, check. Rabbits? Not so much. The eggs I can understand--life, renewal, rebirth and all that. I think it was one of those traditions adopted from the pagans. The chocolate? Well, let's just say that chocolate is something that I can really get behind.

So do I deny the girls the joys of the Easter Bunny because of my residual Catholic guilt (otherwise known as "the gift that keeps on giving")? Or do I let them get all hopped up on sugar before, during and after breakfast knowing that they have a lifetime to make their own decisions about God and religion?

I think I'm going to have to vote for chocolate. After all, if there is a god, s/he would surely understand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks like we are on almost the same page, lady!