Tuesday, November 07, 2006

A Plea For Studio 60

I don't watch a lot of television. Not network TV, anyway. CSI (the original; David Caruso gives me the willies), The Amazing Race, hockey, and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Why Studio 60? After all, no one is watching it. It's allegedly about to be canceled. But:

Please, please, watch the show before it is. Buy the DVD after it is. Because, sadly, it is a rarity for modern television: smart, funny, well-written, with inspired casting. So if you're getting tired of all the reality shows (really, aren't we sometimes watching to escape reality?) and the run-of-the-mill shows that you can't watch without speaking lines of dialog before you've heard them, please check out Studio 60 before it's too late.

By the way, does TiVo sell the numbers of people who record the shows rather than watching them right away? I'm thinking that, with the advent of digital recorders, the Nielsen ratings might be just a tad passe, no?

3 comments:

hvyTK said...

You know I'm watching it as much as I can! But as I posted a couple weeks ago, I know this is going to end poorly. :-(

Anonymous said...

Lots of reports today that it's about to be picked up for the full season: http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/11/07/studio-60-to-get-a-full-season-breaking-news/

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,

First of all thank you for posting this Blog... I have Studio 60 on my Google Alerts, so that is how I found you.

Currently there are at least 6 MySpace pages that I know of that are dedicated to gaining members, sending petitions, and even e-mailing the producers of the show to keep it on, including flooding NBC itself.

Last I heard the show is scheduled for the rest of the season. Therefore to ease your minds, I don't forsee the show to be cancelled.

I agree with everything you are saying about the show. Currently, it's the only show I watch.
As far as the TiVo comment, I heard that they do not register when TiVos are used for recording the show... only when they are watching the direct broadcast.
In the busy lives of people, you think they would take TiVo users into consideration.

Check out the MySpace pages for Studio 60 pages. You can access mine, and find all of the others on my friends list on the first page:
http://www.myspace.com/studio_60_fan

You wouldn't believe the range of ages that LOVE this show!

Natalie